THE long hunt for a site to house the SA Volunteer Firefighter's Museum has taken a positive step forward.
On October 10 the State Emergency Services Minister Michael O'Brien visited Naracoorte and met with the museum's chairman Rex Hall as part of his visit.
As well as showing Mr O'Brien the display at the museum's current housing in Cartwright Pavilion they also had a look at the new proposed site for the museum on Smith St.
The 1355 sq m block is in the former Naracoorte rail land, which is being divided up for sale by the State Government.
"We had already spoken to him before," Mr Hall said. "But now he (the minister) has had an opportunity to look for himself."
Being part of the disused rail land, it is "ideal" for the museum's purposes, close to the CFS depot and the centre of town.
It is currently owned by Transport SA, administered by the Minister for Transport Tom Koutsantonis.
"He (Minister O'Brien) would get it transferred to the emergency services," Mr Hall said. "And they would lease it to us with an extended lease on a peppercorn rent."
After a decade of trying to find a home for the museum, which will feature items from across the State, Mr Hall is happy things are progressing.
"We applied for a block initially from the National Trust, at the Sheep's Back - that was rejected, then we approached council for a block at the north parklands, that was rejected too," he said. "We're hoping for third time lucky."
He thanked the P and A Society for the use of Cartwright Pavilion while the search continued.