TWO sex-related incidents that have made national news this week are believed to focus on a local high school.
It was revealed on Monday that a teacher had been suspended nine years after he viewed pornographic websites using the internet account of a Year 10 student, who was later paid $30,000 to keep the matter confidential by SA's Education Department.
In another unrelated incident which has just come to light, a teacher has been suspended after an incident in July when he was accused of trying to lure students into being open to sexual activity.
In the 2004 incident involving improper use of a student's internet account, the former student, falsely accused of accessing explicit pornographic websites, dropped out of school later the same year.
The teacher, who was by now working at a different school, has now been suspended on full pay.
Education Minister Jennifer Rankine said she had asked department chief executive Tony Harrison to investigate the school porn case when she was informed on September 30. Aspects of the matter have now been reported to police.
Mr Harrison launched an investigation into the department's "disappointing" handling of the 2004 matter and the confidential settlement reached with the former student in February last year. He said the teacher had been found to have breached department guidelines on internet use in 2004 and 2006, but escaped suspension and was instead counselled.
The former student has said he regretted accepting the payment. He had originally sought an apology from the school, and for action to be taken against the teacher, but the confidentiality payment was offered instead.
Education Minister Jennifer Rankine has defended the department's handling of the latest incident, saying action had been taken swiftly and parents had immediately been made aware of the issue.