AN area of Naracoorte which is almost certain to flood every year will undergo a drainage revamp.
In the first half of this year essential works will be done in the vicinity of Park Tce, Cameron St and Freeling St.
Council has budgeted $740,000 in its 2013-14 budget for the works on top of $35,000 for 2012-13.
At a public meeting on January 29, Naracoorte Lucindale Council director of technical services Phil Burton said water inundation had been a problem for that area.
"Flooding does occur reasonably frequently," he said. "On average once a year it will flood."
Local resident Vicki Modistach backed up Mr Burton's comments with her own experience.
"It's been pretty horrific," she said.
"It's very touch and go - it doesn't take much rain then off it goes."
Council is hoping to reduce the occurrence of flooding to once in 20 years for roadways and once in 100 years for property inundation.
The works include replacing underground drainage pipes and pits, installing new side entry pits and associated kerb and water table, road resealing, excavation of a new stormwater detention basin on Park Tce and realignment of the shared pathway on Park Tce.
The new system will be gravity-fed, replacing pumps that are currently in use.
Mr Burton said some disruption to road traffic and property access was likely throughout the project.
"We're not shying away, there will be some inconvenience," he said.
"But it's short-term pain for long-term gain.
"We will try to make this as smooth as possible for you (the residents)."
Council is undertaking a tender process for the works and it is anticipated a contractor will be selected by the middle of February.
Construction is likely to start within four weeks of a contractor being selected but the council director said it was not yet known how long the project would take.
"There is no definite timeframe until we know who the contractors are," Mr Burton concluded.