UPDATE: Man has been refused bail and will appear in court again next week.
The family of the man who held his 12-year-old daughter inside a Parramatta office on Tuesday, say they could have ended the siege earlier if police had allowed them to get involved.
In a "very tense and very risky" operation, police still believed a man had a bomb when they burst in to an office in Parramatta where he had barricaded himself and his 12-year-old daughter for 11 hours.
GALLERY: Parramatta bomb threat siege
Parts of Parramatta were brought to a standstill yesterday after the man holed himself up in a barrister's chambers with the girl, claiming to have a bomb in his backpack and making demands to police.
After police negotiations with the man broke down, heavily armed officers burst into the building about 8pm, escorting the girl away and arresting her 52-year-old father.
Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said it was a "very tense and very risky" situation as police were only able to confirm the man did not have a bomb after the siege was over.
"It was certainly a big risk and again I praise the courage of the officers who broke into that confined space, that barricaded space, believing that that person had a bomb," he said at a press conference this morning.
"It's not a decision I made lightly.
"But I made that decision based on a lot of advice from experts in those areas, from the negotiators, from the tactical police, from the bomb squad ... with the safety of the 12-year-old being paramount, but also with the safety of our officers."
The man's family had complained the siege would have been resolved much earlier if they had been allowed to talk to him.
Mr Clifford said he could understand their frustrations, but it was less risky for trained negotiators to talk to the man.
"What I would say to the family is the man who was barricaded in that situation yesterday is probably not the man that they would be able to sit down across the kitchen table and have a conversation with," he said.
"It was a very stressful, emotional situation that he was in and ... the question is asked whether family, friends, legal representatives should be allowed to talk to somebody.
"It's a big call because we just don't know what the reaction might be from that person."
Mr Clifford said he would not go into detail about yesterday's police operation, or about the demands the man was making.
The man was seen at several points during the siege standing at a window, sometimes shirtless and once wearing a barrister's wig which he spat on.
He was also broke a window with a bottle, threw a phone out the hole and gestured with a bleeding hand.
The man, from Orange, will face Parramatta Local Court today charged with seven offences, including take/detain person with intent to obtain advantage.