Murder charge after Mount Gambier assault

A teenage boy will face court today charged with murder following the investigation into an assault at Mount Gambier on Saturday night.

At 9pm on Saturday, police said three men were walking along Commercial Street East when they allegedly became involved in a verbal argument with a large group of people on the opposite side of the road.

Police said the three men are believed to have crossed the road and approached the group where they were soon set upon by several males and assaulted. One man was knocked unconscious to the ground, a second man punched several times to the head and the third man was injured trying to break up the fight.

During the assault, witnesses reported seeing a black Ford Territory pull up and another two men were seen to get out and join in the assault before driving off again.

The initial group involved in the assault left the area before patrols and paramedics arrived.

Two men, aged 32 and 26, were airlifted to the Flinders Medical Centre with serious head injuries.

The death of a 32-year-old Mount Gambier man overnight following the assault has been declared a major crime.

Mount Gambier CIB are investigating the incident and have described the group of people involved as young men aged in their late teens or early twenties, tall, with medium to stocky builds.

Detectives from Major Crime flew to Mount Gambier yesterday to assist local detectives with the investigation.

As a result, a 15-year-old boy from Mount Gambier was arrested last night and was charged with murder. He is expected to appear in the Mount Gambier Youth Court today.

Investigations are continuing.

Superintendent Grant Moyle, Officer in Charge, Limestone Coast LSA urged anyone with information to come forward.

"Anyone who witnessed the incident and hasn’t yet spoken to police, or who has any further information that may assist the investigation is urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or report online at,” he said.

"You can remain anonymous."

Source: SAPOL