Naracoorte residents will soon have a chance to have a say in what they want to see in the town centre.
Adelaide based consultants Holmes Dyer have been appointed to conduct extensive community engagement and prepare a Naracoorte Town Centre Rejuvenation Plan.
The Rejuvenation Plan will aim to capture the community's aspirations for future opportunities, effective service delivery, roads, and infrastructure, both private and public.
The plan will explore the opinions and expectations of the community and business sector on matters including:
- Streetscape appearance and amenity - retail/shop front assessment and review amenity - "look and feel" for the town Infrastructure - pedestrian safety and wayfinding in the town centre including linkages between main streets - Robertson Street, Smith Street and Ormerod Street
- Traffic management and flow
- Attitudes and opinions of heavy transport through the town centre
- Improvements to parks and gardens, open spaces, and utilisation of Naracoorte Town Squares, linear trails including the Heritage Trail, Caves Trail and Naracoorte Creek Walk, with proposed opportunities
- Building upon the current landscape tree management and landscaping (tree replacement including species selection for the town centre)
- Public art and culture that share the stories and heritage values of the Naracoorte Caves
- Business and tourism opportunities and events to position Naracoorte as a visitor destination and starting or end point for the Caves experience and to improve the connection between Naracoorte and Caves
- Disabled access and linkages to footpaths (building on our Disability Inclusion Plan)
- Parking and traffic flows, including long vehicle parking
- Signage review
- Innovation to drive rejuvenation
- Style guide or consistent design theme running through town (signage, street furniture, rubbish bins, banners etc)
The development of the Rejuvenation Plan will include significant community and private sector engagement to ensure that the vision, desires and aspirations for the future of the Naracoorte Town Centre are understood.
The success of the Rejuvenation Plan will rely on contributions from service providers, community members, Council elected members and staff, local business owners and other stakeholders.
Project outcomes will be dependent on community input and feedback, with the project scheduled to take an estimated three months.