SA lockdown no threat to KNTFL footy finals

CANCELLED: There will be no football this weekend, with lockdown cancelling all matches. PHOTO: Elisabeth Champion
CANCELLED: There will be no football this weekend, with lockdown cancelling all matches. PHOTO: Elisabeth Champion

It will be a quiet weekend at the sports fields across the Naracoorte Lucindale region, with the lockdown bringing all games to a halt, but the missed games are unlikely to affect our local footy finals.

The seven-day lockdown, announced on Tuesday, means that all sport matches this weekend have been postponed or cancelled.

However, KNTFL president Peter McLellan said the grand final was expected to go ahead as planned.

"We will not extend any longer for the grand final - things have been in play, we have video recorders booked, so I think the grand final will still happen on September 18,' he said.

"We've extended once and I think was alright, so I think that will stay the date now."

With the situation still uncertain, no final decision have been made regarding rescheduling the missed match and will depend on the changing restrictions.

"It is still a live ladder, we will see teams go in and out of the top five, so this week may well get swapped - we were going to do a double-up in the last two weeks, so the round we missed, we might swap this one in so teams aren't playing each other twice in a row.

"We are just waiting like everyone to find out what they tell us we can do."

The lockdown is a further blow to the local sports scene after border closures with Victoria caused the cancellation of the local football and netball games between Border Districts and Lucindale last week, and leaving other sports teams short for players.